Monday, June 24, 2013

Machine Quilting Feathers...practice, practice, practice!

I've been taking the Craftsy class,  Free Motion Quilting with Feathers, and thought I'd better start doing some practicing!  So here's what I've got so far:

                                 

Here are some funky looking feathers with fillers, a few pebbles, some curly quilting, some clam shells.  These first few came out pretty rough.  I added a little inside detail to one half of one of the feathers, and added a stray feather growing out of the middle of another.  I found out I am better at quilting feathers in a horizontal direction than in a vertical direction.


This one was fun, though a little overkill.  Too much backtracking.  I'm sure it could be quilted with less of that.  I like the fun curlies coming out of the top side of this one.  It would be good for a whimsical style quilt.


And finally, here I quilted one that I kind of, sort of, actually like!  See the way the feather on the left curves around the curlicue and the petals fit into the space?  I really like this one.  It made me feel like I am getting better.  I can do this.  Practice, practice, practice.  As long as I don't have a quilt loaded into the machine, I am committed to practicing one bobbin's worth of quilting per night.

Until next time...please visit the Curlicue Creations Shop...and have a super day!

Get Creative!

Jennifer Schifano Thomas

1 comment: