Friday, June 28, 2013

A Quilt Inspired by Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks

I had another U.F.O. finish yesterday!  Yay!  This one is a quilt inspired by Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks, Volume 5.  That is the last issue I had the honor of making test blocks for.


I loved the way this block came out, with the dark background and bright colors.  It's block #406, Fresh Flowers by Cheryl Haynes.  She is one of my favorite designers. You can visit her blog at Prairie Grove Peddler.


I knew I wanted to make a wall hanging featuring this quilt.  I started out by making these low contrast nine-patch blocks.


I sewed them into these zippy borders.


I pieced my quilt top together, quilted it, loved it, and then it sat up on the U.F.O. shelf.


This week in my U.F.O. finishing frenzy, I took it off the shelf, added some binding, using the blue fabric, and sewed this starry sleeve onto the back.  I used a lot of star fabrics in this quilt and did some star quilting, too.


Because the quilt block was designed by another quilt designer, I made sure I included her name on the label.  It is important to give credit to the quilt designer and the publication, too.  Plus it may be helpful to someone in the future doing research about your quilt, or wanting to make a similar quilt.


Here's the finished Fresh Flowers wall hanging!  I'm so in love with this quilt!  I have to find a place to feature it in my home.


Have you been finishing anything lately?  Get those U.F.O.'s out and see what you have!  You may be inspired again.

Until next time...please visit the Curlicue Creations Shop...and have a super day!

Get Creative!

Jennifer Schifano Thomas

4 comments:

  1. A beautiful quilted wall hanging! Great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You let this beauty sit all quilted in your UFO pile? Shame on you! It is stunning! So glad you finished it so that you could share it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute, cute, cute quilt. I love your border. So clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, and bright colors :)

    ReplyDelete