Friday, May 31, 2013

Sally's Mystery Quilt-A-Long Top - Finished (almost!)

Hooray!  Here we are at the end of Sally's First Mystery Quilt A Long.  It's been a fun few months.  I can hardly wait to start on her next mystery quilt.  I believe it's starting tomorrow, June 1st.  If you'd like to quilt along, you can get more info at my Facebook group, Quilters Show and Tell.  I thought for today, I'd show how my quilt top came together.


First we made these classic Jacob's Ladder blocks.  Lucky me, I messed up and got to sew these twice.  I went with an orange theme, as I've really been into orange lately.  Weird for me!


Then we made these fun Mexican Rose blocks.  I did mine in fusible applique, my favorite. I love how playful looking they came out.


Things got even better for me when I saw we were going to sew four Nebraska Tulips blocks!  This is one of my all time favorite applique blocks.  I've made some of these before.  I used two different greens in a couple of the blocks for a little bit of whimsy.


These blocks can form a really neat pattern when you put them together like this.
It would make a nice center for a medallion quilt, or a you could sew a few borders around the edge and call it a table topper.


Here's my quilt before borders.  Lots of white space to practice my feather quilting.  
I need lots of practice, so this will be good for me!


Close up corner shot with the first border on.


And my traditional clothesline shot of the quilt top.  Trent just had to get into this picture.


I thought I was finished with the top, but after I posted this photo on Quilter's Show and Tell, one of the awesome members pointed out that I had a four patch oriented the wrong way!  Oh no!  See it?  I circled it in the above pic.  I'm going to have to go back and fix it - Ugh!  Why can't I be perfect?  Oh well.....Maybe we can do another post on how to fix a mistake in the middle of your quilt.  

Until next time...please visit the Curlicue Creations Shop...and have a super day!

Get Creative!

Jennifer Schifano Thomas

1 comment: