Friday, April 19, 2019

The Making of the Strawberry Rose Quilt

(Note:  The materials for this quilt were given to my by Island Batik at no cost to me.)

The Strawberry Rose quilt looks right at home, hanging on our greenhouse. 

Here's another glamour shot ~ hanging out on the front porch on a sunny afternoon.

This seems like a fitting place for this vintage style quilt.

Even though this quilt did not have a lot of similar pieces, I still bagged and labeled them.  It's my system and it works well for me.  This helps to keep everything clean and organized.

The blocks came together quickly.  I used Heat 'N Bond Lite for my fusible applique.

I zigzag stitched with matching Aurifil thread around all of my fused patches to secure them.

Here's one block completed.  Don't the Island Batik fabrics look vibrant?  I love the versatility of batik fabrics.  They work well in every style of quilt.

Here's the top before quilting.  See the lower left corner?  It didn't come together the way I wanted it to.  I considered unsewing and resetting that patch, or adding some buttons or yo-yo's to disguise it, but in the end I ran short on time and just left it.  I'm not trying to win a prize, and I'll just say it's imperfection is "charm".

I straight line quilted this on a diagonal out from the center using my hopefully never ending cone of white Aurifil thread.

I didn't do any quilting on or around the applique patches.  When I reached the appliques, I simply ended my thread with a machine knot and continued my line of quilting on the other side of the rose.

You can read more about the Strawberry Rose quilt and it's inspiration here:  Vintage Reimagined Featuring Strawberry Rose.

Be Creative ~ Sew Something Beautiful Today.

Jennifer Thomas

Click here to visit the Curlicue Creations shop.



Subscribe to the Curlicue Creations Newsletter

* indicates required

This is an affiliate advertisement.  Clicking on this link will not affect the purchase price.

1 comment:

  1. It looks lovely, and I agree that leaving the charm spot alone was a perfect choice. The different directions of the lines for the quilting looks terrific on this quilt.

    ReplyDelete