Saturday, September 28, 2013

Little Mother Toy Sewing Machine

My husband is always shopping.  Lucky me, he is also always looking for vintage sewing goodies for me.  Yesterday he brought home this gem of a toy sewing machine.


This hand crank toy sewing machine is called the "Little Mother".  It was manufactured in the 1940's.  These toy machines were made in several different colors from pressed metal.  It's hard to tell in the photo, but this one is Navy Blue.  It's in great shape, and works well.


Here's the front of the case it came in.
It was so much fun to open this up and see the tiny machine inside!


The upper drawer contains a small clamp, to fasten the machine to a table top for sturdy sewing.  There are a few tiny, vintage spools of thread in the drawer, too.

Until next time...please visit the Curlicue Creations Shop...and have a super day!

Get Creative!

Jennifer Schifano Thomas

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/5565917/?claim=y7st8an3pju">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

6 comments:

  1. I got this same machine today from someone I ordered off ebay. I have the original carrying case. It doesn't look as nice as the one you have, I am going to clean it up. I am going to paint the gold logo. Most of it is still there. I don't have a drawer in my carrying case. That would be great if I did, then I could put little notions in it. I got the machine for my granddaughter to learn to sew on. I thought this would be the best way to start out. She is 7 and I wanted her to get used to how a machine works, then when she gets the hang of sewing, I will put her on my Singer 201-2. I need to clean the machine up, put a new needle in ( I think it's the original needle, which I am going to keep). The logo on the machine looks great. I threaded the machine, not sure if I did it right. When I put the thread around the spring, it doesn't want to stay on. I thread it this way, if I am wrong, please let me know. I unscrew the part with the spring, wrap the thread around, screw the screw back tight, then there's a little hole on top of the machine, I thread that next, then I thread the whole in the pressure foot ( I can't think right now, but the part that goes up and down), then I figured you thread the needle right to left. It came with 3 wood spools of thread. I am so excited. I can't wait to clean it up and actually try making something. She is going to love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What size or numbers are on the needle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, but I'm in the process of moving my studio and this machine has already been packed. Do you have the same machine? Have you tried a standard needle to see if it will fit?

      Delete