Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Folded Flying Geese are Fun!

Good day, dear readers!  If you've been keeping up with me on Facebook, then you know I've been working on the Basket Cats quilt for the past couple of weeks.  I've almost got all of the block patterns finished and in the shop - Hooray!  


The blocks are all paper pieced, and finish at 12".  Above is the Square in a Square Cat Quilt Block.
It's been quite a while since I originally designed this quilt, so I completely redrew the quilt setting.  I'll show you a bit of it today.


It's going to have a Flying Geese border down each side of the quilt.  I've made Flying Geese using countless methods in the past.  They are one of my favorite blocks to include in a quilt because I love the movement they add to a design.

 I recently learned how to make the folded type, at our quilting group a month or so ago.  This is my favorite technique to date, so I'm going to try to explain how it's done.  
For each unit, you'll need a rectangle the size you want the finished block to be plus 1/2" for seam allowance.  
I wanted my geese to finish at 2" x 4", so I cut my rectangles 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" (the green fabric).  This will be the "goose" fabric.
Cut two squares the same size as the short side of the rectangle for your "sky" fabric.  Mine were 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" (the yellow fabric).


 Next, fold the rectangle in half with the wrong sides together.  Sandwich it in between the two squares with their right sides together, and the raw edges aligned.  The fold should be approx. 1/4" from the top edge.   Sew one (yes!  Only one seam!) 1/4" seam down the side of the unit.  


Open it like a book (see top unit).  Then simply fold the rectangle into a triangle (see middle unit), and press. Voila!  I also pressed the back seam open for less bulk (see bottom unit).


One folded flying goose unit.


Two folded flying geese units.  See how nicely the points come out.


A whole flock of flying geese!
They are ready to fly into my quilt.  I hope the kitties can resist chasing them!

The gorgeous green batik fabric I used for the geese is available in the shop at this link:
Gorgeous Green Batik!



Here's the most recent addition to the Basket Cat series, block 9, the Heart Cat Quilt Block Pattern.  So cheery, and loving, too.

Until next time...please visit the Curlicue Creations Shop...and have a super day!

Jennifer Schifano Thomas

1 comment:

  1. Looking good Jennifer and what patience you must have:) Lovely materials and as you said the point look perfect. Have joined your blog today :) have a great week.

    ReplyDelete