Sunday, August 25, 2024

Marvelous Minis Challenge featuring Pixie Garden

This is the quilt I made for the August 2024 Island Batik Ambassador challenge, Pixie Garden.

Disclaimer:  The products used to make this quilt were given to me by Island Batik and Industry Partners.
This month's ambassador challenge was to make a mini quilt!  I love mini quilts.  The quilt size requirements were 24" x 24" or under.  Pixie Garden comes in at 22" x 22".  The blocks are 4" square.

I mostly used fabrics from the 1/2 yard cut bundle that came in my July Island Batik Ambassador box, plus solid black.  These fabrics are basics, blenders, and solids and are available all of the time.

I used my Oliso iron and Heat 'n Bond Lite to create fusible applique pieces for both the tulip blocks and the nine patch blocks.  These pieces were tiny!

I considered just quilting over the fused pieces, but....I decided to secure them on all edges with a small zigzag stitch in matching colors of Aurifil thread.  I think it was worth the extra effort.

Here I am zigzag stitching around the small leaves on the Nine Patch blocks. I used Schmetz Vinyl needles to zigzag stitch all of the applique shapes.  They are non stick and work great for fusible applique projects, as well as for stitching on vinyl.

I put the top together in diagonal rows with Cheddar sashing and orange cornerstones.
I used Hobbs Fusible batting for this quilt.  I did micro grid quilting on the diagonal with Aurifil Monofilament Thread in a clear color.  It was my first time quilting with monofilament thread.  I'm pleased to say it went really well.

Close up of quilted Tulip block.

Close up of quilted Nine Patch block.

Close up of quilted corner with penny to show scale.

Backing and binding.

Pixie Garden glamour shot on steps with seashell and ocean coral.

Pixie Garden glamour shot with fall leaves.  I have a tree that has turned bright orange this week.  Maybe it was confused by the early fall school starting cool weather we've been having.

Pixie Garden end of summer green grass.

Pixie Garden on the pathway between my house and my quilt studio.

Pixie Garden

Quilt Stats:
Quilt Size:  22" x 22"
Block Size:  4" x 4"
Fabric:  Island Batik Assorted
Batting:  Hobbs Fusible
Thread:  Aurifil Clear Monofilament
Needles:  Schmetz Vinyl
Designed in EQ8

Be sure to visit my fellow Island Batik Ambassadors to see what they made for the Marvelous Minis challenge.  Here's the list:

Brenda Alburl ~ Songbird Designs

Renee Atkinson ~ Pink Tulip Quilting

Megan Best ~ BestQuilter

Pamela Boatright ~ PamelaQuilts

Susan Deshensky ~ Lady Blue Quilts Studio

Brittany Fisher ~ Bobbin with Brittany

Preeti Harris ~ Sew Preeti Quilts

Mania Hatziioannidi ~ Mania for quilts

Jane Hauprich ~ Stitch by Stitch Custom Quilting

Kim Jamieson-Hirst ~ Chatterbox Quilts

Victoria Johnson ~ Forever Quilting for You

Connie Kauffman ~ Kauffman Designs

Connie Kresin Campbell ~ Freemotion by the River

Emily Leachman ~ The Darling Dogwood

Denise Looney ~ A Quiltery

Leah Malasky ~ Quilted Delights

Maryellen McAuliffe ~ Mary Mack Made Mine

Lisa Pickering ~ Lisa’s Quilting Passion

Sarah Pitcher ~ Pitcher’s Boutique

Lana Russel ~ Lana Quilts

Julia Schweri ~ Inflorescence Designs

Gail Sheppard ~ Quilting Gail

Carol Stanek ~ Stitch with Color

Sandra Starley ~ Textile Time Travels

Jennifer Thomas ~ Curlicue Creations

Suzy Webster ~ Websterquilt

Don't forget, I'm a Missouri Star affiliate.  You can get 20% off your order of $50 or more by shopping through my link:  Shop Missouri Star.  You get to save $$$ and I get a small commission.  Win~Win for us both.

Be Creative ~ Sew Something Beautiful Today.

Jennifer Thomas
Curlicue Creations

Connect with me:

Subscribe to the Curlicue Creations Newsletter

* indicates required

3 comments: