Sunday, October 14, 2012

Quilt Backings for Fun - Mulberry Square

The Mulberry Square quilt is coming right along.  It's a large quilt, 95" x 95", so for the backing I could choose to purchase yardage of 120" wide backing fabric, or purchase a large quantity of  regular size fabric and seam it all together, or get artsy and piece a backing out of what I already have in my stash.


I decided to go the artsy route.  I tried this on the last quilt I made, and really enjoyed it.  I just free-form pieced the backing together, using a rough, log cabin method, and used fabrics from my quilt top, and fabrics that coordinated from my stash.  This is a great stash buster, if you think about it.  Use some of those beautiful fabrics that you already own, instead of heading out to the store to buy a big piece of one single fabric, that will ultimately have a little bit left over & get added to your stash.  Plus, it's fun!  Above, you can see what I have sewn so far for the backing of this quilt.


Here is a close up of the piecing in this quilt.  It's all marked for quilting, but you can't really see the marks in the photo.  I hope I can see them for the quilting.  I did not enjoy marking this quilt top & I don't think I'll do that again.  I'm much preferring the free form, free motion quilting, over the arduous, pencil eating, quilt top marking method.


Again, here is a pic of the top of the Mulberry Square quilt.  I just can't wait to see how it turns out when it's all finished.  This design was featured in the July/August 2002 issue of Quiltmaker magazine, issue #86.  It's about time I finished this quilt!

Until next time...please visit the Curlicue Creations Shop...and have a super day!

Get Creative!

Jennifer Schifano Thomas

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer, Great use of colors! I like how the purple, green and golds work together. I do the artsy route frequently on my quilts. It sure helps when you have a tote that won't close! Sandi

    ReplyDelete