Saturday, December 29, 2018

Whimsical and Wonky featuring Wonky Little Houses

Disclaimer:  The products in this post were given to me at no cost by Island Batik and Quilty Box.
 Won't you be my neighbor?  This is the quilt I made for the December Island Batik Ambassadors challenge.

This month's challenge was Whimsical and Wonky.  This was a tough one for me.  I like to be playful with colors and fabric, but most of my designs have a lot of structure.  

 My quilt features Island Batik fabrics from the Paisley Dot collection and Check it Out, plus a few scraps from my stash.  I used Check it out for the sky and the backing, too.

 Here's a closer look at the center house block.  I used Carrie Bloomston's Wonky Little Houses pattern from the October 2018 Quilty Box.  Her pattern is super simple, featuring the three houses I made.  She encourages you to add other elements to your quilt to personalize it.  I added lace trim and button doorknobs to each house.

 At this point, I felt like the brightly colored wonky houses looked a lot like a child's drawing.  So I created a fun tree in the same style and put a sunny yellow circle up in the sky to be the sun, moon, or a planet ~ use your imagination.

 I used Hobbs Heirloom Cotton Batting and Aurifil threads in matching colors to quilt my street scene.  

 It looks cute on my front porch glider.  When the weather is nice, I do a lot of my hand sewing here.

 Here is a closer look at the quilting.  I quilted straight lines into the houses to look like wood siding.

 I did some fun echo quilting around the sun and the tree in the sky.  Everything was quilted with my walking foot.  The yellow Paisley Dot fabric makes a wonderful sun (or moon, or planet)!

 I cut 10" strips of turquoise and aqua green Paisley Dot fabrics and randomly sewed them together to make the binding.  

 I really love the way this quilt turned out.  It's adorable!

I'm not sure what I am going to do with this quilt, but it would make a fun children's play mat.  Imagination...I think a lot of stories could start out with this sweet collection of homes.

2018 has been a fabulous year as an Island Batik Ambassador - I've loved every minute of it!  I have one more project to sew for the big year ending blog hop.  My hop day is January 21st.  I'd better get sewing!  The hop starts soon.  Be on the lookout for a bevy of inspiration with the Island Batik Ambassadors, coming your way!

Be Creative ~ Sew Something Beautiful Today!

Jennifer Thomas






Subscribe to the Curlicue Creations Newsletter

* indicates required

Quilty Box
This is an affiliate advertisement.  Clicking on this link and making  a purchase may result in my receiving a commission.

4 comments: