Friday, September 19, 2014

Strippy Flowers Quilt Redesign


It's time to get back to the Strippy Flowers quilt.  I have no idea how this quilt top got stuffed into a drawer and forgotten.  I love this design!  Above, see my original idea.  


These are the quilt parts I pulled out of my sewing desk drawer.  A little different color scheme from the original idea, but so cute!  So romantic!  And a little bit primitive.


I chose this angel fabric as one of the three fabrics for the center strip of plain, square blocks.  I decided to change the tan section border strips in the quilt to country black instead to give the quilt more definition.


Then, following my directions, I sewed the center squares strip together.  Uh-oh!  See how it's a couple of inches shorter than the other strips?  What have I done???


I'm sewing this using my new spool of Superior Thread's MasterPiece by Alex Anderson.  It's made specifically for piecing, to help your seams lie flat.  I got to test it out both sewing, and unsewing!  So far, so good, on both counts.


Here's a few pics of the Strippy Flowers blocks.


I had all this super pretty coordinating fabric, and I mixed it up to sew some unique color combinations.


I love the way these blocks came out.  Who says leaves and stems have to be green?


And back to the center strip.  I changed the width of the black fabric, to make it work out properly.


Almost finished...looking better.


And here's where I ended up.  The center strip took a lot more time than I planned, but I'm glad I fixed it. I like the way the country black strips are working on this quilt.  I should be able to finish the top during the next sewing session.

Until next time...please visit the Curlicue Creations Shop...and have a super day!

Get Creative!

Jennifer Schifano Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment